Sunday 4 May 2014

Raising Awareness for CFS/ME Awareness Week and the Fabulous Team Princess!










Well, I took part in Team Princess to raise awareness as well as cash, so I suppose I had better do the former as well.  I hope this post wont bore anybody - no one wants to hear a litany of illness. But during CFS/ME Awareness Week I wanted to reveal what ME is really like and to dispel a few myths, because there might not be another opportunity. And if it ever happens to anyone close to you, (I hope to God it never does), then it will give an idea of what can happen and what to do.

My experience began in 2008, when I was 28 and very fit and healthy. I worked full time for an e-learning company and skated 2-3 times a week, as well as attending an exercise class, and had an active social life - shopping, going out with friends, etc.

But it all changed very suddenly when I got a flu like illness, which at first I thought was just like any other. After a week or so I went back to work, and for a couple of days, seemed to have recovered. It was after this though, that I suddenly felt a sense of tiredness that I'd never felt before. My entire body felt heavy, as though  I was wading through treacle and I found it difficult to stay awake. Everything was more effort.  I found myself shutting myself away in the company's silent board room to work, because I hadn't the energy to cope with people and I felt a sense of dread the whole time.

It was after 2 weeks that I woke up one morning with tremors and shaking throughout my entire body. Every muscle  moved with a cogwheel type rigidity - a visible vibrating. This really was when the real trouble began. I forced myself into work for 4 months struggling to get through the day. I felt so weak I would dread being asked to make tea or walk across the office to speak to someone. The floor appeared to move as if I was walking on board a ship; everything was too bright and my eyes were heavy, and I would get into bed immediately on returning from work each evening.

As time progressed, my handwriting changed. I began to experience muscle jerking - where suddenly my hand would jolt across the page or my leg would kick in the air involuntarily. Added to this were all over bodily fasciculations (muscle twitching), and palpitations and irregular heartbeats. I walked with a shuffling gait and poker legs. I also got foot drop, and trying to walk down steps or off a kerb was an experience - my foot 'slapping' onto the ground,having lost the fine motor control.
It all came to  a head in September 2008 when I was hospitalised with a  resting heart rate of 180 bpm. It was after this i realised I couldn't keep working, even though my employer had kindly allowed home-working for much of the time, to save the energy required to travel in.

There were many other weird symptoms but this is the point of having to stop talking about those horrid times before everyone else falls asleep! Suffice to say, I  rested at home and  improved gradually over 3 years, to the point where i could go for a pub lunch for an hour or so and could drive occasionally.

A huge problem and hallmark of ME though is post exertional malaise. This means that such outings, for me and many sufferers, could only be few and far between and require recovery of days or weeks afterwards. Others rarely see this, because energy is be saved up to see people, and it is often the case that sufferers can seem quite well to outsiders, causing more misunderstanding.

Another hallmark of the condition is its relapsing and remitting course - something I discovered in 2011 when after what seemed a fairly innocuous stomach bug, three years of improvement were quite literally gone within 2 weeks, and i was worse than ever before.  At this point I would spend only 2 hours at a time out of bed, sleeping up 15-16 hours a night, and unable to walk to the end of the driveway.

It was at this time that there was nothing left to lose and I tried a treatment that for me, was amazing. For three days my dad drove me to Rugby in Warwickshire, propped up with pillows. This treatment was called Lightning Process. Its a controversial treatment that is very much misunderstood.  Unfortunately when people hear about the content they tend to not stop to fully understand the neuroscience behind it, and draw the conclusion that ME is a psychological illness - which is very far from the truth and is a very damaging viewpoint.

The Process I used helps to re-train the brain to send more normal instructions to the body and to at least some degree reverse the neurological problem that is ME. However, it doesn't work for everybody and was not a total cure in my case - but although I am still very far from leading a normal life, it has enabled such physical improvement that things are now far better, and, 3 years on, I am much more able.

So, I hope that at least by telling my story I can convey what ME can be like and hopefully dispel the dangerous myth that is is 'just tiredness'.

I should say though that this description doesn't constitute a universal experience of the condition: everyone is so differently affected. Some have multiple allergies, digestive problems, light intolerance - all manner of symptoms which are brought about by disruption of the central nervous, endocrine and cardiac systems.

As yet there is no theory for the cause of ME that has been wholly agreed upon, although there is some great research going on out there. Team Princess are raising money so that this research can continue and hopefully find a cure. Our charity, Invest in ME, fund biomedical research and also promote awareness in the press/media, trying to ensure the wrong message doesn't get out there.
So that's my piece said really - I hope I've given at least a bit of an idea of what ME is about. If it ever happens to someone you know, the best advice I can give is to always believe them; don't think that it is psychological, or encourage them to push on regardless, and get advice straightaway on pacing, and push for an official diagnosis. Don't be fobbed off or fooled by the stigma that surrounds ME. This is the greatest gift you could ever give them.

Thank you so much for reading; it means a lot.
Love Marie.

The link to our fundraising page is here: www.justgiving.com/teams/MEprincesses

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. It is moving and brave. Good luck with your fundraising and for your continued recovery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story in a way of hearing how this has affected you and your life. I have had it for 14 years and my Daughter too. She lost all her high school life and friends. She no works but struggles so much. I have not been able to work for 14 years but after September will have no benefit to live on. I am at the moment going through hell again. I seem alright for a while then I get a huge amount of illness. I have tried everything on the market for my Daughter and myself, and nothing works apart from a complete change of diet eliminating yeast, sugar, a total gluten diet, which does work but it is hard to keep to. Hundreds of thousands of people worldwide have it and still Doctor's won't believe in it. Nobody can fake it, and it is hard to get people to understand. When I was first ill I worked then it got so much worse because people whom I thought of as friends turned against me and my Boss also, so I went down again. I have muscle twitching and shaking, severe migraines, neck pain, pain all over, blurred vision, feeling sick so much when I have done too much, cannot remember much if anything and if I was to work they would sack me in a day, as well as slurred speech, not being able to walk far, and the hard part is on some occasions you cannot see what we are feeling inside. I would like to raise money for research so if you let me know, if you know anyone then I would like to help. Love Faith xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Moti and Faith for taking the time to comment on my blog; it's so kind of you!

      Faith - i am sorry to hear you're having such a horrible time at the moment. And i know how scary and frustrating it can be when this illness fluctuates in its severity, especially when you seem to feel better and then get used to the bit of freedom, and it flares again. I have found the treatment i had to be a good 'buffer' though, even though it hasn't cured it, it does seem to stop things escalating to the point that they once did. I am sorry you've come across some unsympathetic people; it just makes things all the harder and is exhausting trying to explain and can be heartbreaking. And you're totally right - noone could fake this! You make sure you keep fighting it though, Faith - I never thought I could ever improve at one point but i was wrong in thinking this. Also i hope its comfort to know that it is possible for the muscle twitching and shaking to go away as it did with me - i know i was lucky, but it is possible.

      As far as fundraising is concerned - a lot of it is going on on Facebook. If you would like to take part in an event yourself, i know there is something called Z Factor which is an online stand-up comedy event going on. You just buy a ticket with whatever amount of money you wish and then you get a 'virtual' ticket where you can watch a series of Youtube videos with comedy turns done by ME sufferers. You may need to join the Facebook group called The Lighter Side of ME first which is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/138006096227064/ (but that's no problem) and then ask one of the admins to point you in the right direction.

      Also, my friend Jenny is hosting an event called Cheesy Night In on facebook. Anyone can do this in their own home - you just have a night in with a film, pyjamas etc and take a photo of yourself and put in on facebook (during any time in May) and make a donation yourself to take part. You can just ask to join on this page and she can add you in. here is the page link: https://www.facebook.com/events/694995380546403/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar She is also making handmade jewellery to sell for the event and is very talented. This is her page: https://www.facebook.com/JennysTreasuresForME

      Or if you just wanted to simply make a donation Team Princess have their own Just Giving page that is still open - there are many princesses you can choose to donate to and this is the link: http://www.justgiving.com/teams/MEprincesses

      I hope this helps, and i really wish you the very best for your recovery. I know its hard when its invisible and no one knows what we're feeling. Keep in touch anytime with me and feel free to add me on facebook - i've got a Team Princess logo as my profile picture. Love Marie xx

      Delete